The Cornell Method

 

One of the oldest note-taking techniques that I have heard about is the Cornell method. To provide an outline of what the technique is about, It is a technique that is supposedly highly efficient and highly used. The page is divided into 3 sections,

https://user-images.strikinglycdn.com/res/hrscywv4p/image/upload/c_limit,fl_lossy,h_9000,w_1200,f_auto,q_auto/4414584/939688_999368.png

The notes column, The cue or questions column, and the summary column. The notes column is where one writes all the notes in point form after reading the book or the lecture notes. The cue column is where one writes any questions that one has regarding the topic. The summary column is where one writes the summary of the notes within 4 lines.

NOW LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE USING THIS TECHNIQUE

I attempted this note-taking technique for 1 week. At first, I tried this technique for theory-based subjects like biology, chemistry, history, and English, it seemed to work really well, I remembered everything that I needed to learn and understood them. Then I slowly started to try it for numerical and derivation-based subjects like physics and mathematics, only then did I start to see the problem. For these subjects, I wasn't able to take notes efficiently as I had nothing to write in words. The other problem came with the cue column, I couldn't write any questions that I had on my own as these subjects are filled with questions and problems and writing my own questions just didn't make any sense. The summary column though, worked really well where I could write down all the formulas and important steps in the derivations that I had to remember.

CONCLUSION AND MY VIEWS

This technique is efficient for theory-based subjects but not so much for numerical-based subjects. If you like this technique and want to try it, I would recommend using lined paper as it makes it much easier to divide the page, If you prefer you can use different colored pens to make the process so much more fun.

Comments

Popular Posts